Thursday, November 24, 2011

Destination Friday: Where are you really going?

Welcome to Destination Friday- a linky party where we share our travels.  Feel free to skip to the end of the post to find the linky.

This week I have been thinking about travel insurance.... mainly as it has been a bit of a pain, and a lot more expense, than our travels have been previously.  Partly for the cancer element- this evidently raises the price, while not actually giving any cover for cancer related care.... and partly because I want to travel with so much technology!

I have awesome cameras.  I love them, a lot.  Not taking them would destroy me.  Actually, I tend to be rather rough on my cameras, as I am now on Waterproof and Indestructible camera #3.... But my DSLR is brilliant.  I bought it to photograph weddings, but love it for everything else.   And I know I am traveling with my iPad- we are inseparable!  So I choose to list everything I take, pay more, and know I am covered. 

I know there are others that feel comfortable traveling by the seat of their pants.  Me, not so much.

So I was also thinking about security, and pretty much thinking about comfort zones.

And the last time I was really scared abroad.

I was totally scared in Vanuatu.  Not because of the people, but what I had decided to do.  I have never done any SCUBA diving, ever, but there is this awesome Underwater Walk in Port Vila.  Basically you wear weights, breath in a respirator and walk through a coral plantation.

But the whole thing scared me.  I didn't want to put my head under the water.  I kept wanting to rip the respirator out of my mouth and breathe in the water.  It was a constant reminder going through my head, just breathe, just breathe, just breathe.  And I was freaking out, big time.  There was a guide, who kept giving me the motions about going up to the surface.  I really wanted to give up, and go back on land.

Then I saw the fishies.


This guy was first.  And I was transfixed.  It was this completely magical kingdom underwater, just below the surface, right on the beach.


Then there were like millions of fish!  I couldn't believe it.  They swam up and touched me.  I fed them.  It was just surreal.  I forgot about the fears I had, and how I wanted to quit, and how I wanted to rip out the respirator in panic.... and I was calm.


Here was my hero, the one who didn't let me quit.  Strangely, my husband stayed on shore, unable to drop beneath the surface.  This was the first time I saw myself as stronger than him.  And I felt unstoppable.

Well, unstoppable, but insured. ;)
Anywho, time for the linky.





No comments:

Post a Comment