Thursday, November 24, 2011

What I love: Stamps... and Postcards

This is corny.

One thing I love about travel is the little things, the bits that you can't get anywhere else.  The things that people can send you, that they have touched and held in their own hands.  The things people share.

I love postcards.  And stamps.

In Cape Reinga, the northern most point of New Zealand, they have a lighthouse stamp that gets postmarked on each postcard sent from there.  I posted a card to myself, to my dogs, and to my husband.  I like to tuck the postcards here into books, so that when I read them, I come across the postcard.

When I travel, I spend way too long and too much money on sending postcards to my friends.  I just really wish I could have them all there.  Or, when I see something, I think of them.


Sometimes i leave little pieces behind.  Ellena was meant to be traveling, but ended up missing out, so I left a piece of her there.


And the idea that someone could stamp me, that was too good to be true.  I totally recommend any means of transportation that comes with stamps....  

My preferred location to write.... only, shortly after we took this picture in a picture, Mum lost her postcards to a Pacific breeze off the side!  But having a polaroid camera is terrific.  I tend to love the one-shot, one-chance approach, but I always end up digitally photographing myself holding pictures, so I really should stop doing it.  But it is cool to post polaroids.... as like one-off moments to share.

And this would be my preferred place to write postcards.... though, maybe not the most coherent place.

In fact, I love postcards SO MUCH, I will send any reader a postcard from my next vacation if they email me their details on beyondislandhopping@hotmail.co.nz

I have only created this email address for this postcard opportunity (at the moment), and I promise not to share your details with anyone else.

The deal on the postcards:

1.  You need to follow me publicly on Beyond Island Hopping
2.  You must email me your address to send the card to (which seems like a no-brainer)
3.  You need to leave a message in the comment box saying why you would love a postcard
4.  And you need to do this by December 15th if you want one from Fiji or Tonga (you can pick the country- just write your choice in the comment)

I guess, if you want a postcard from both Fiji and Tonga, you can have one too..... but because I can, you need to link to a Destination Friday post and put the Destination Friday button on your blog.  The button can be found on the left hand side of the blog.  Mention in the email that you have linked to Destination Friday and that you'd like 2 postcards.  :D

Happy travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment